Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Buns Recipe
Prep time: 2.5 hrs Cooking time: 30 minutes Yields: 18 cinnamon buns
If your from the East coast than you know this place called "Cinnabon" they have the most delicious gooey cinnamon buns and after lots of trial and error. I have come up with a similar recipe that is just as good and if you keep on reading I will share my secret ingredient that'll take your cinnamon buns up a notch.
- 1/3 cup very warm water (110-115 degrees like a warm baby bottle)
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (don't use white sugar, it'll make the dough dry)
- 1/2 cup of butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 4 cups of all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 full tbsp of cinnamon (my secret ingredient---> use vietnamese cinnamon)
- 1/4 of melted butter
Cream cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces of plain cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 3 tbsp of whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup of powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl stir together warm water and sugar, once mixed add the yeast. (Let the mixture sit for at least 10 minutes or until the mixture if foamy)
2. Once the yeast is a fluffy, pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add 1/2 cup of sugar, whole milk, melted butter, canola oil, vanilla extract and eggs.
4. Mix until everything is combined.
5. In another separate mixing bowl, pour in salt, baking powder and sift flour into the large bowl.
6. Gradually mix in the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Once all the ingredients are combined form the dough into a large ball, place the dough into a lightly greased large bowl.
7. Let the dough rise somewhere warm for at least an hour. Gently punch down the dough to release the air.
8. Sprinkle a large work surface with some flour and start kneading the dough gently a couple of times into a large rectangle shape.
9. Once the dough is rolled out into a large rectangular shape, brush the dough with some melted butter. Sprinkle on the filling mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar.
10. Starting from the end furthest from you, begin tightly rolling up the dough.
11. Once the log is formed, place the seam side down and slice the dough into even sections. ( a little tip: If you start by cutting the dough in half and than cut the half pieces into halves, you get where I'm going)
12. Once all the sections are made, place each roll into a greased baking pan. Cover the pan with a large wet cloth and let the formed dough rise again for at least another hour.
13. Preheat oven to 360 F. Bake for 25-30 minutes (depending on how hot your oven is) until the cinnamon buns are slightly golden brown.
14. While the rolls are cooking start working on the cream cheese frosting. Mix the room temperature cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract.
15. When cinnamon buns are done, let cool for at least 15 minutes and spread the cream cheese frosting on top (tip: if you put on the cream cheese frosting right away it'll melt and won't stay nice and thick)
16. Enjoy all your hardwork.
If you followed this recipe I'd love to see your post in the comments down below or on my instagram using the hashtag #mamaindulgencesbuns