RECIPE: Curry Chicken & Dumplings
This has to be one of my kids favourite dishes. With me being Vietnamese and my husband Jamaican, my kiddos re use to lots of different flavours. Although they are use to these different flavours, believe it or not my kids are so picky. I cannot tell you how many dishes I have tested out in hopes they would like it.One thing we do try is to switch it up and not make the same dish all the time.
Curry Chicken is a family FAVE and so easy to make, you'll only need a few ingredients, but the key is to marinate the chicken at least over night so all the ingredients can merry together.
PREP 20 minutues YIELDS 6 servings TOTAL TIME 45 minutes
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of seasoning salt
- 2 tsp of chicken seasoning
- 3 tsp of curry powder
- 3 tsp of garlic powder
- 4 tsp of vegetable oil
- 1 stalk of scallions
- 1/2 an onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cups of water (or till the consistency starts to come together)
FOR THE CHICKEN
1. Cut the whole chicken into small chunks and set aside in a large bowl.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Mash and mince garlic.
4. Slice up onion and scallions into little pieces.
5. Put onion, scallions and minced garlic into bowl of chicken and mix up.
6. Add the mixed dry ingredients into the chicken mixture.
7. Marinate chicken preferably overnight. Or for at least 2 hours.
8. Once the chicken has marinated over night. Take out of the fridge and let come to room temperature..
9. Once chicken has come to room temperature. heat a pot (preferably a ducth oven- iron pot (the dutch oven we have is from Superstore PC Brand). The dutch oven contains and maintains heat very well)
10. Put oil into pot. Put about 1 tsp of curry powder into the oil and cook it out for about 2 minutes. Put chicken into the pot and stir for the first 10 minutes. Cover the pot and keep an eye on the pot every 10 minutes. If you notice the chicken starts to dry out, add about 1/4 cups of water.
11. Turn down the heat to medium-low and cook until chicken is cooked thoroughly through.
1. Mix the salt and flour together. Make sure the two ingredients are well combined. Once the two ingredients are incorporated. Start slowing mixing in water. The mixture should feel a lot similar to home made playdough.
2. Once the ingredients have come together. Bring a pot of water to a boil with about 2 tsp of salt.
3. Start rolling out little cylinder like shapes like the picture above.
4. Once you have used up all the flour mixture and formed them into the cylinder like shapes. Start placing them into the boiling water. And stir continuously so the dough doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. You will know when the dough is cooked when they start to float up about 12 minutes into the boiling them.
5. Once cooked drain the dumplings and serve with the cooked curry chicken.
6. P.S. to store the cooked dumping in an air tight container.
What are your go to meals for your kiddos. I would love to know comment below. Thank you so much for reading along.